Even though mold is usually associated with dirty showers in bathrooms and rotten food, it is literally present everywhere and its presence is not limited to damp or wet areas only. If fact, you are ingesting and breathing this toxic substance on a daily basis, without even being aware of it.
Mold is not visible as it grows undetected practically anywhere, from walls to food. While you may not be able to see it, you are definitely being exposed to its harmful effects. When the body becomes overrun by mold, it compromises the function of the immune system and creates a perfect environment for the development of illnesses which may take years to be diagnosed.
THE SILENT KILLER
Not all molds are bad to the same degree, but there are some very poisonous varieties. They are called mycotoxins and contaminate everything, including furniture, draperies, linens and even clothes. Mycotoxins are very difficult to kill and once in the body, they attack the immune system and wreak havoc on the nervous system, the joints, and even the brain. Eventually, it can lead to many diseases, even cancer. According to a 2005 study published in the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture,
“Acute toxicity generally has a rapid onset and an obvious toxic response, while chronic toxicity is characterized by low-dose exposure over a long time period, resulting in cancers and other generally irreversible effects.”
A 2011 study published in Applied and Environmental Biology has shown that 25-28% of North Americans are genetically predisposed to experience negative effects when in areas with water-damaged such as their workplaces or homes.
Moreover, the study also found that “dampness,” which is the perfect breeding ground for fungi and mold, is present in up to 50 percent of homes and buildings in North America and that “…fungal growth is a problem in 15 to 40 percent of North American [homes].” In other words, you have a 50/50 chance that your home or workplace will be prone to mold and if it’s, there is up to 40 % that you will experience its negative effects.
WHERE DOES MOLD GROW?
Mold thrives in the presence of water, such as poorly ventilated bathrooms and basements. It usually starts with a small leak in your roof or behind the shower. Very often, mold appears in flooded places which have not been properly cleaned. Places such as dirty HVAC system which have accumulated dust and moisture over the years are also susceptible to mold. Sometimes, it can be brought into the home by untreated wood or construction materials.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE MOLD POISONING?
When you are chronically exposed to mold, the symptoms may start as mild but as the body begins to become overrun by mold, the symptoms progress. The symptoms are very similar to the ones of other diseases, such as Celiac disease, Lyme disease, and fibromyalgia, which often leads to an incorrect diagnosis.
14 WARNING SIGNS OF MOLD POISONING
- Inflammatory problems
- GI problems/food sensitivities
- Numbness and tingling
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision
- Auto-immune issues
- Joint pain
- Weight fluctuation
- Neurocognitive problems
- Brain Fog/Confusion/Memory loss
- Mood issues
- Sleep issues
WHAT CAN I DO?
1. Find a Doctor Who is Familiar with all the Signs of Mold Toxicity
Look for a doctor who is trained in the “Shoemaker Protocol” or is familiar with the signs of mold toxicity so that you can begin the detoxification process.
2. Find a Professional Mold Remediation Expert
If the test determines a presence of mold, it is recommended to find a professional mold remediation company which removes contaminated materials, make all necessary repairs to leaks, and clears air exchanges. Make sure you test the area once again after the work is finished in order to ensure all spores are absent.
3. Test Your Environment
ERMI (Environmental Relative Moldiness Index), which was developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), is the most reliable test. In case it detects mold in your home or workplace, it also determines whether it is toxic or not.
4. Eat Healthy
Once you are done with the detoxification process, it is important to eat and live healthy, by staying away from foods that contain mold, fungus, and yeast. In other words, you should avoid sugars and carbohydrates. On the other hand, it is recommended to take supplements, such as olive leaf, activated charcoal and glutathione which help restore the body.
Thanks for reading!